Below are some of the things I’m most often asked. If anyone has a question, please do read through them to see if it has already been answered. If not, just post it in the comment box at the bottom of the page. Just click on any question to expand it to show the answer.
































































I’m often asked for “general” and/or “positive” advice, nothing specific, just things to bear in mind. I know full well that people want me to tell them that it’s a brilliant idea to move here, that the sun shines all the time, that the people are friendly, that the cost of living is cheap, and that it will be wonderful … just a few minor bureacratic hoops to jump through first.

The reality is different, and I have now had to say the following so many times that I decided to put it here as a postscript to all the individual answers above.

The best advice is to learn Spanish before you come because work is very difficult to find unless you’re prepared to work for low wages in a bar or in commission-only sales, or similar, and any good jobs will require very good Spanish. Be prepared, too, to do something other than what you’re familiar with. Flexibility will open your mind to employment possibilities you might not have considered – and most working people here are employed in fields other than those they were in before they arrived.

Come with enough money to last for at least six months because it can take longer to set oneself up here than you’d imagine. The average wage is around €12,000 to give you an idea, and although the cost of living is lower here, it has risen over recent years. And while talking about money, be under no illusions whatsoever – in Tenerife there will be any number of people who will be your BFF within five minutes with the sole purpose of taking it all off you.

Above all, trust no-one. Everyone has a story, and out of our own environment, without familiar social and cultural clues by which we judge everything without realising it, we cannot tell when we’re being lied to or conned. Sometimes it’s obvious – the former chief executive of a multi-national corporation is hardly likely to be the bottle washer in a bar with dirty tables and plastic seats, though one never knows, I suppose! – but most of the time it is utterly impossible to judge people’s own versions of their former lives.

This is the best advice I can give.

This article has 101 Comments

  1. Hello Janet, I am unsure if I have posted my query in the correct section and I send my apolgies to you. My query… I and my husband (pensioners) recently registered with a Dr in Armenime. When up in Granadilla getting the paperwork I asked about the Ehic (Uk) did I need to exchange it for a spanish one, I was told no, it is ok to carry with the ones we have. I accepted this answer. Later I read in one of the english papers that we should apply for a spanish one. Now I am uncertain what I should do and if necessary where do I start. We would be most grateful if you could clarify this query and possibly advise us where to start the process of changing over. thank you for your help and advice.

  2. It’s an easy confusion but the answer is simple. EHICs are issued by the country giving healthcare cover, and so most people resident in Spain should apply for a Spanish European health insurance card – a Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea. BUT British pensioners are an exception because although resident in Spain and receiving medical care in Spain, their healthcare is actually covered and paid for through an S1 issued by the UK, so they need a British EHIC. There’s more information HERE.

  3. Hello Janet, Many thanks for your speedy reply to my query. I have read your links and my understanding is that if either I or my husband were to take ill whilst staying on the mainland (we plan to visit Seville later in the year) we would be covered with this card if needs be.
    Although we are not planning to travel without private travel insurance I just needed to know exactly where we stood with the card and whether it needed to be exchanged for a spanish one. Once again thank you for your help.

  4. well, if you’re registered as living in Spain, then it won’t cover you for the mainland because you’ll still be in Spain, and the EHIC is for when you travael abroad. You are correct to have a UK issued EHIC, but it’s for when you travel as a visitor outside Spain.

  5. Hello Janet. I’m recently resident on Tenerife however never register with a Doctor. I’m autonomo and have 2 years old son which is also not registered. Can you please advise what should I do to register both of us? Someone told me that I need to visit Grenadilla for some paper work first…
    Thank you in advance

  6. Pat Shaw. You mentioned that you registered with a Dr in Armenime. Are they speak English as I don’t speak Spanish and have to register with the Dr in Arnime. Thanks

  7. Yes, you will need to register with the social security offices in Granadilla and then, with Registro and Empadronamiento, go to a local surgery. If this is daunting, there are people here who offer their professional services to help you through the procedure. I am not one of them, but you could contact Diana McGowan, for example, who is recommended as a asesora on my Resources page (Financial section). Re your second question, most surgeries here have notices saying that if patients don’t speak Spanish, they must take a translator with them.

  8. Janet

    I have transferred a deposit on a villa to the auctioneers in Tenerife. I have not yet signed any documents. Can I withdraw from the purchase at this stage and have my deposit refunded.

  9. I’m sorry I have no idea. It will depend on the understanding you arrived at, and what their terms of business are, which you will have seen but I haven’t. Did you not engage a lawyer with respect to the purchase? S/he would be best placed to advise.

  10. Hi Janet,

    We are UK pensioners who spend October to March in Tenerife, and April to September in England, is the pensioners’ EHIC the correct document to obtain healthcare in Tenerife? We obviously don’t want to lose our entitlement to healthcare in England. We are property owners in both countries.

  11. Your UK EHIC will serve you because your visits to Tenerife are just that, “visits”. While you remain mainly resident in the UK, there is no danger whatsoever of you losing your right to healthcare there.

    Do be aware, however, as I say HERE, that the EHIC “is to be used either in an emergency, or if repeat or sudden treatment is required for a condition that cannot wait until the patient returns home.” If the condition for which it is presented is not deemed to be an emergency, you could end up with a significant bill for the treatment received. As such, an EHIC should not really be relied on in isolation, and given the regularity and length of your visits, my advice would be to give serious consideration to taking out travel insurance or some kind of part-time ex-pat private medical insurance in addition.

  12. Hello, wonderful information!
    I was wondering if you could help, I’m so confused. I have my residencia in Mallorca, my partner is Spanish, when we move to Tenerife, do I need to change my residencia to the town I move to? Does he need to make any changes?
    Also, at some point I will stop working due to starting IVF/pregnancy, will I still be able to use the healthcare system?
    I have pre existing conditions, one that will 100% need surgery, will I be covered? Do I just register with my local doctor when there?
    Are the Balearic and Canaries all linked together so we don’t need to make too many legal/document changes?
    sorry for all the question! Thank you in advance

  13. Well “residencia” is understood to mean different things by different people. If you are registered in Spain with the police as resident, and have a green Certificado de Registro (which people often call “residencia”) then no, you don’t need to re-register, but you will need to go to the National Police station here to get the address changed on your registration. You should also go to your new local A>yuntamiento and register on their padrón, and you will then get a new Certificado de Empadronamiento (another document that people call “residencia”).

    As far as health is concerned, it is administered by the autonomous regions, so there’s no connection between the Balearics and Canaries. Whether you use the state healthcare system depends on whether you have an entitlement through contributions – either through employment or self-employment, or by being the dependent of someone who is. To register with a doctor here you will need to show such entitlement and be registered on the local padrón, as well as having a Registro with a correct address on it.

  14. please can you tell me why potencia contratada is allways different on all my electric bills when sometimes the consumida is not the same oneof my bills were for 38.01 on 105.80 then the next one was 40.44 on63.11 how do these people work ijust cannot under stand them

  15. I’m sorry I don’t have any idea. It might be best to consult an electrician, who should be able to advise you.

  16. Hi Janet just reading your page can you help us with our question we spend 3months here and one month in the uk 3months here I month in the uk ect ect through the year we own property here have our nie and have done everything legaly with our Spanish solicitor out here we have decided we would like to move here permantly.Do we have to give up our british passports as we would still prefer to keep our british nationality sorry about typing never learnt to type properly

  17. no, you don’t have to give up your passports. Under Spanish and EU legislation (and assuming the UK votes on Thursday to remain in it), you have right of movement and can live here as British nationals. You would need to register with the police as living here, as all foreigners resident in Spain have to, and then you get a Certificado de Registro (variously known as “residencia”, a green card, the green NIE, etc). Registration with the police is a legal requirement, but not an automatic right: provided you meet the criteria, however, it’s a formality … you’ll find the conditions HERE. Once registered, you are entitled to live here as a British national.

  18. Brilliant site!

    May seem a silly question but we are currently learning Spanish before we come across. Is the Spanish in Tenerife much different? is there a dialect?

    Best wishes

  19. Hi Janet, I disagree that the local Spanish is standard Spanish. Many words used here come from South America and Cuba and are unfamiliar to people from the Peninsular. We have a good friend who is from Córdoba who lives here now and almost every time we talk we use a word she is unfamiliar with. Just today someone asked her to take her “cholas” off before getting on a boat, she would say “chanceletas”; flip flops.
    Here in Tenerife they also drop the letter S and Z if it’s at the end of a word, so it’s Lo Cristiano or Santa Cru. Just the other day I was asking for “seis” chops in the butchers and the Butcher kept saying “diez” back to me, I held up six fingers and he said “Oh, sei”. Maybe it’s more pronounced where I live as most people are Canarian or South American. I’ll gloss over “Hola Guapa” and “Hola mi Nina” which ring out in the streets.

  20. Your description is right … but what you’re describing is Castilian Spanish with lots of loan words! At most it’s a variant of standard Spanish – but still Castilian – and similar to that spoken in Andalucia, not a different regional language or even a dialect. In terms of the dropped letters, that’s the accent.

  21. Dear Janet I am 45 and retired due to an accident, I get free travel in Ireland as I am partially disabled is there a similar thing in the canary islands .

  22. no, I don’t believe there is, I’m afraid. There are concessions for the disabled, including parking badges, but it is quite a procedure to get official acknowledgement of disability, as I describe above.

  23. Thank you Stewart. It helps to be aware of these subtle, but important, differences. We will continue with our basic Spanish but any variance would be appreciated.

  24. Hi Janet Just got registro to live here we are both on pensions and got S1 forms do we take them straight to granadilla or somewere local first regards David

  25. Yes, I believe they have to go to Granadilla and be registered there, and you will be given Spanish certificates confirming your entitlement. You then take these, together with ID and Registro, and probably a certificate de Empadronamiento from your council too, to your local surgery. Diana McGowan (see the Resources page, Financial section) helps people with this sort of thing if you were looking for someone to help.

  26. Hi Janet, I am looking to move to Spain permantently and have a temporary job lined up in Santander for eight weeks. I have a criminal conviction from a few years ago,mwould this affect me obtaining a Spanish NI number from the police station?

  27. I don’t believe it would have any effect on your getting a NIE nor on your registering to get a green card, which you’ll need to do if you’re moving permanently (see HERE). I think the only time it would make a difference is if you were to apply for Spanish nationality which is when they ask for a criminal record check.

  28. Janet, I am really confused about import duties. I am coming over to Tenerife before the end of the year and will be driving so will be coming in on the ferry. I will have with me 2 suitcases of personal belongings and my husbands beloved guitar. we will be going into a holiday aprt until we find somewhere more permanent. When I get to the ferry port will I have to declare anything? Many thanks

  29. Hi Janet.
    I’ve recently returned from a 3 week stay in Tenerife and am looking to move out there for 6 months. I am planning to save enough money for rent but i dont know where to start in terms of looking for apartments and jobs? Can you advise me on anything?
    Any help would be appreciated.

  30. Well if you’re not here in person you will need to use the internet to find both, so the best I can suggest is to join some Facebook groups. Try doing a search there for “Tenerife Rental Apartments” or similar criteria – you should find several groups come up and you’ll be able to speak to owners and agents direct. As to jobs, there are also FB groups for jobs in Tenerife. Other than that, you could use google to try to locate rental properties – if you speak (or can read) Spanish it will be a lot easier.

  31. Hi Janet, I was wondering if you could help me. I lost a gold bracelet on the beach in El Medano last week and i am trying to find someone with a metal detector and permission to see if we can find anything on the beach.



  32. I don’t know of anyone but I hope someone might see this and respond to you … you could also usefully post this in as many Tenerife-related Facebook groups as you can. Good luck!

  33. Hi Janet
    Can you advise me please….do you need your marriage certificate to get your residencia.

  34. Please have a look at THIS page. I suspect that by “residencia” you actually mean the Certificado de Registro that you get when you register with the police. You will find the criteria to be able to register on that page – it’s a legal requirement but not an automatic right. You do not need a marriage certificate.

  35. Good morning Janet ,could you please give me the address of the police station in Las Americas where I apply for the NIE . Thanking you in anticipation

  36. Thank you Janet for the information re address for NIE application really do appreciate it .best regards to you from Roger.

  37. I have a neighbour who is opening a nursery in a residential area paying no social payment is this against the law and who do we contact at town hall

  38. Hi Janet hope you can advise, we want to buy a car here but have been told we need to have empadremiento,but as we only stay for six weeks or so every couple of months and use our sons appartment in toscal the town hall have said we don’t qualify. Is there a way around this or will we have to continue hiring. My son does not want responsibility of car in his name,we have bank account here and nie.

  39. yes you must have empadronamiento because a car is linked to an address, and an empadronamiento proves your address. The only way I can see for you to do it is to get some sort of contract or agreement drawn up with your son showing your connection with the address.

  40. If I am not mistaken when someone does not have a Property Title copy, or a
    Leasing contract to their names, the empadronamiento can be granted if one of the persons already registered at the address (in this case, the son) go with him in person and fill in a request to include him in the list of people registered at that address.

  41. yes, that’s right … different councils operate slightly different systems, but it is perfectly possible.

  42. Thanks for your reply ,we are back in UK now until January , hope we can sort it then.
    Also do you know of any art groups in the Puerto or los relejos area?

  43. What can you do if some one sacks you for no reason on indefinado contract..who do i contact…. i dont want to sign anything untill i know what im intitled to

  44. Hello,
    I was wondering if you know if I am able to sell my paintings in el medano, next to the beach? I have seen people selling jewellery etc. But I don’t know if I could be fined for selling my artwork.
    Thank you

  45. Are tenants on six months lets allowed to have and keep dogs in a residential building . What can be done about noisy dogs

  46. Hi Janet,
    I need to exchange my UK driving licence. I have been looking for information about the process but cant find it anywhere. Do you have it on your site? My present understanding is that i need to go to a centro de reconocimiento to have a medical which is easy as there is one in Alcala. Then i have to make an appointment with Trafico in Santa Cruz, you have provided a link. But i dont know if i have to complete a Modelo or what documentation i need besides my UK licence. Can you help please?

  47. Hi Stewart, if it’s a canje (exchange) rather than a renewal, you don’t actually need a medical. Instead, you or an authorized representative need to go to Tráfico, who need to request details from the DVLA. You need to produce originals and 2 copies of your passport, NIE and empadronamiento, and your UK driving licence.

    Medicals are needed for renewals, however, but then the medical test centres do all the paperwork for you without you needing to go to Tráfico. You just need your old licence, passport and NIE.

    Have a look at the first question in the Driving section above, though … can you clarify that we’re actually talking about “exchange” rather than renewal because there’s no obligation to exchange for most drivers, just to “renew” in Spain. The distinction is significant, though the first “renewal” is actually an exchange … but it doesn’t need to be done until the British ten-year photocard licence expires.

  48. I had not heard of the change from January 2016. I thought that you had to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish licence if you met certain conditions, in my case the rule about exchanging after living here for 2 years. I read this on Diana Mcglone’s website but it seems that is now out of date. My licence is valid until 2019 so therenis no need for me to do anything until its 2019.

  49. As of January 2016, drivers are only legally required to exchange UK licences if they have a 15-year- or indefinite validity period. They have two years from the date at which they registered as resident – so as of today, for example, anyone with such a licence who became resident before 21 November 2014 should already have exchanged it.

    Holders of normal UK/EU 10-year photocard licences, however, are not obliged to exchange because the validity period is under that 15 year limit. They don’t have to do anything until that licence expires, at which point they have to renew in their country of residence, i.e. Spain. This naturally means exchanging for a Spanish licence, but only at that point.

    It’s all part of an attempt to harmonize licensing legislation across the EU, which following Brexit might mean changes as far as British drivers are concerned in the future, but we won’t know that until the negotiations are finished.

    Having said all of that, if you’re living here, there are nothing but advantages to exchanging your licence, and you don’t actually need a medical either if you exchange ahead of the expiry/renewal date.

    (I’ve now edited the explanation above – first answer in the Driving section – to make it clearer).

  50. Janet, thank you for making it perfectly clear. I guess it does make sense to exchange sooner rather than later. We were planning a trip to Santa Cruz, I’ll just have to spend it in Trafuco.

  51. Hi Janet,
    Wonder if you can help my, neighbours in Tenerife have just got married after 45 years together. They both own an apartment here and are non resident. After their wedding and returning to Tenerife they went about getting their paperwork in order i.e. change of name.
    They went to the police station to obtain amend or renew the NIE number, because of his wife name change.
    This is when the difficulty arose. At the police station they were told that they had to have an official interpreter with them.
    They then contacted a lady who could provide this service, only to be told by her that to have a name changed on the NIE is a very complexed procedure, she mention that the consulate required to verify the wedding certificate. The police required to visit there apartment to confirm she actually live there. Furthermore a lot of official forms would be required to be filled in.

    I find this all quite different from our own experience, when my wife went through the same process some 6 years ago, as all we did was turn up early at the police station with her old NIE and her passport and the wedding certificate and everything was done there and then quite smoothly.
    Can you advise what is the appropriate way to get this procedure completed and what are they are required to do.
    Many thanks

  52. There might be some miscommunication because it’s not actually complicated. All that is needed is an officially translated marriage certificate with new passport plus old NIE. The police certainly do not need to visit anywhere, and there are no more forms to fill in other than the usual solicitud (application form) and the modelo to pre-pay the fee at the bank.

    Also, no-one is required to take a translator, but bear in mind that the police are not required to speak English, and so for those who don’t speak Spanish, it’s a good idea to take a translator. The police are also within their rights to demand a legally translated version of the UK marriage certificate, rather than just accepting the British one, and so the consulate would be a good starting point for the up-to-date procedure for that.

  53. Thank Janet for your reply can you advise on where locally we can get a legally translated version of their UK marriage certificate done We were wondering if the notary office. I think it would be difficult for them to go to the Brittish Consolate re transport as they are in the south
    Thank you Edd

  54. you could start with the Arona Courts. They provide sworn translations for €20 or so, and that may well be sufficient for the police. If the police require more than that, then they could end up needing a legally translated document from the UK with an apostille on it … but I would start with the Arona Courts translated certificate and see how it goes.

  55. Thanks once again Janet can you advise where the Arona Court is located so I can take them there
    Regards Edd

  56. If I’ve done it correctly, THIS should take you to a map showing the Courts … they’re at the top of El Camisón, on the border of Los Cristianos.

  57. Hi Janet,
    We had a certificado Residencia Para Viaje. In December 2014, and went into the Town Hall Office in Los Cristianos to renew it this morning.
    We were refused on the following reasons,
    1 we need to have a green card for Residencia 2 We should live here all the year. 3 To pay our tax to Spain.
    We have a home here and reside for approximately 6months, and have bank a/c’s
    Would we be entitled to this Green Card? And how do we get it? Hope you can help.

  58. Well, first of all the information you’ve been given is incorrect. You don’t need to live here all the year, nor pay your tax in Spain: these matters are irrelevant. The viaje certificate, however, is a variant of the empadronamiento, and councils are within their rights (some say they’re obliged) to refuse to register on their local list of residents (padrón) anyone who is not legally (physically) resident in Spain. This is NOT connected with tax residence.

    To be physically resident in Spain, and legally so, all foreigners must register with the police. So, for example, anyone coming to live here permanently must register with the police and get a Certificado de Registro (it’s called all sorts, including green card, green NIE, residencia, etc). The person might decide to leave Spain after five months, in which case they never become tax resident – which is why paying your tax in Spain is irrelevant.

    If a council is only going to put people on its padrón if they are living here legally, i.e. registered with the police, it stands to reason that they’ll require proof that the person has got the Certificado de Registro. And it’s only if someone is on the padrón that they can get a viaje certificate.

    In your case, you have obviously registered on the padrón in the past, but either Arona has tightened up its rules or you got a jobsworth who wouldn’t register you with the council because you weren’t registered with the police. I’m afraid they have that right, though many councils, or at least many council staff, will register someone with just passport and NIE, and a rental contract or empadronamiento of ownership.

    As to full details of the green card, please see HERE. Meanwhile, I’ve moved this question and reply to the Getting it Right page because it was out of place on the endometriosis information session post. It might also help if you have a look at the questions & answers in the Residents & Non-Residents section above.

  59. Hi Janet wrote some time ago re my neighbour who got marraged in the UK and wanted to change her name on the non residents NIE certificate, and advised on the difficulties which they experienced at the Police station. With the help of your response and great advice they went back to the police station this time in possession of a completed Ex 15 form and a paid in the bank 790 form also passport and passport size photographs also the UK marriage certificate and photocopy of same. This time no problem they got the name changed with no difficulty. Many thanks once again for your time and a wonderful web site.

  60. Hi Janet , I have been awarded long term disibility for two years , do you know if I canget help towards eye tests n glasses ?

  61. Eye tests are free, anyway, Debbie, but as to help with glasses, I’m not aware of a system here like in the UK with NHS glasses (not sure that system even still runs in the UK, actually).

  62. Hi Janet

    My husband needs to renew his spanish driving licence as it runs out in 2017 he is 75 and has previously when he was 70 had a medical etc. How do we go about this is it easy.

    Kind Regards


  63. Yes it’s easy. Just go along to any Centro de Reconocimiento for a new medical and they will not only carry out the test but will do the paperwork for you. All that’s needed is the current licence, though I’d take along passport and Registro just in case! The whole thing should just cost the basic amount because your husband is over 70, and so there’s the fee to pay but the tax is waived (Adeje is €42 but different areas might have slightly different fees). He’ll be required to surrender the current licence and will be given temporary paperwork that he can drive with, along with instructions to call or go back if the new licence doesn’t arrive in the post within a fortnight.

  64. Hi Janet,

    Me and my partner are registered as residents in Tenerife. We plan to marry in Tenerife. He is Catholic, but I have no faith. He wants to marry in a Catholic church, which is fine by me. Is it possible to do so, even if I am not Catholic, but am a resident?
    Any advice would be welcome 🙂


  65. I would think you would need to avow faith, but you’ll need to check with your local parish priest.


  67. I can’t say if you’ll be fined or not, I’m afraid. It’s very much a lottery, it seems, but the only guarantee is to have a blue disability card. Certainly the Adeje Policía Local won’t be able to accept a letter in English from a British GP. As to carrying a passport, that’s a requirement in any case.

  68. Hi Janet,
    My non-resident father is about to take advantage of the reduction in ‘gift tax’ and gift me his house in Tenerife, which I am very pleased. Being a non-resident myself living in the UK my question is will I be responsible for any kind of tax or costs associated with the property along the way (excluding the obvious community charges etc.)
    Many thanks.

  69. Yes, as a non-resident property owner you will need to submit tax returns annually to pay deemed notional rental income tax (informally known as “the non-resident tax”). Have a read HERE and HERE where I hope it’s explained fully.

    Do bear in mind, too, that there will be a few additional costs as part of the gifting process. There will be plusvalia to pay to the local council, and possibly capital gains tax, and the transfer of title also needs to be notarized and registered at the Land Registry. The most important thing is to get qualified professional help with the process so that you know everything is taken care of properly.

  70. Regarding your advice to be wary of everyone who might want to relieve you of your money I recall the advice i received from an US businessman in the travel business. If you want to become a millionaire in Tenerife arrive with 2 million! It is still good advice

  71. Hi Janet,

    I have moved to Tenerife and am renting a holiday apartment for three weeks until our long term apartment is ready in February.
    I have been told i can not apply for my NIE until I move into the long term property? Is this true?

  72. no, as long as you have “an address” you can apply for your NIE … people do live long term, however incorrect it is in terms of property laws, in touristic accommodation. Having said that, however, it is a good idea to wait until you move into the long-term property. This is simply so that your NIE bears the “correct” address, one that will also then match up with your records with the council, and the empadronamiento you’ll need from time to time from the council, or any car or driving licence you need to register with Tráfico.

  73. Hi Janet
    I am resident in Tenerife and have the green paper dated 19/10/2011 do I need to renew it. I would prefer to have the small card rather than the green paper.

  74. You have the option to renew it, and they cannot refuse you, but you are under no obligation to renew it.

  75. Anne, bear in mind that the card-sized registro is very flimsy and the print rubs off in no time if you aren’t extremely careful with it. I personally would recommend that if you have the A4 certificate, you keep it and cherish it. In my experience, for all non-official purposes a colour photocopy of the green certificate works very well. My green certificate is still in pristine condition in its folder, from which I have removed it less than half a dozen times since 2007. The photocopy I carry with me is falling apart but nobody cares, when it’s had its day I’ll just make another one.

  76. Hi Janet. We will be moving to Tenerife in a few months but feeling concerned. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and would need insulin. However he is taking early retirement so not planning to work. How would be the best or recommended way to get the insulin. As he wouldn’t be paying into social security to get Heath care. Thanks.

  77. Insulin will be readily available here, but without state healthcare, you will need private medical insurance. Indeed, to register with the police as you will have to do to be legal, you will need either social security contributions, or to be pensioners, or -as will be applicable for you – private medical insurance, as I describe HERE.

  78. Thanks Janet. I’ll be working and paying into the system so will my husband be classed as a dependent?

  79. yes, he will have to be registered as such, at Granadilla, but as long as you are paying social security contributions, he will then be your dependant.

  80. Hi.
    My parents live out in Puerto having retired there 20 years ago and are in their 80’s. I am mindful of the fact that they may need more help as they get older so I was wondering if there is the Canarian equivalent of visiting carers either private or through the healthcare system?

  81. I would think that the system would be run at municipal level, rather than the healthcare system as such. The best place to enquire is the Social Services department of their local Ayuntamiento.

  82. We are moving to Tenerife at the beginning of April. I will be coming over on the 28/3/17 to apply for an nie. We have a property already up and running in adeje. I know I have to go to the police station in Las Americas to apply for the nie. I am told it can take 15 days. I was hoping to get the children signed up for school in this visit, but is this not possible without the nie ??


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *