Below is a quick and simple checklist for paperwork in Tenerife, particularly in the light of Brexit (see the Brexit post HERE). Please also see THIS page for further detail on the documents mentioned below. I would also just make the point that a lot of confusion has been caused by the wrong names repeatedly being given for these various pieces of paperwork: below is the correct terminology and it is vital to avoid confusion given that after Brexit British citizens here will not be EU nationals in an EU country.

NIE: a white certificate bearing a number. The letters stand for Número de Identificación de Extranjero, i.e. Foreigners Identification Number. This is all the NIE is: a number used for official transactions in Spain. It has no other function.

Residencia: there is no such thing. Residencia was never a document anyway, but a system for an optional procedure to get a foreigner’s identity card. The card became known as “a residencia”. The system was abolished several years ago (legislation 2007 effective 2012) for EU nationals and was replaced by a compulsory registration of foreigners living in Spain.

Certificado de Registro: this is a document printed on green paper (used to be A4 size but is now credit-card sized) which is known by a range of names, including green certificate, green card, green NIE, residencia. It is, though, a registration certificate properly called a Certificado de Registro which is provided by the police to residents who comply with the legal requirement of registering with the police as a foreigner living in Spain. The document clearly states it is a Certificado de Registro and under EU law holders cannot be required by member states to renew them (see HERE) but those who feel more confident with one that says “permanente” can apply for one if they want to after they’ve been in Spain for five years, which is when “permanencia” automatically becomes their right whether their Registro says it or not. Those who prefer a card-sized one to the old A4 size can equally apply to change: again it is not required but an option open to the holder. THE CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO IS THE ONLY THING THAT PROVES LEGAL RESIDENCE.

Please note that now that the UK has left the EU British citizens are no longer EU nationals. As such, their registration document (Certificado de Registro) will need to be exchanged for a registration document for third-country nationals. This is known as a TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) and we will need to make the exchange at some point in 2020. We have not yet been informed of the system to do so but it is in process of dialogue between Spain the EU Commission. As soon as information is released I will post it HERE  (which is also the post to check for the latest on appointments for registration with the police) and update this page as well.

Empadronamiento: this is a certificate provided by a local Ayuntamiento when someone living in a municipality signs onto the local list of residents, the “Padrón”. This is a kind of equivalent to the UK’s electoral register, compiled council by council, but unlike the UK does not convey a right to vote: for that, local residents also have to ask the council to put their name on the “census” as well as the padrón (note that we can only vote in local elections here).

Empadronamiento para viajar: this is a version of the Certificado de Empadronamiento supplied by councils to provide legal residents with the Government-subsidized travel discount. It is called various names, but most commonly “a viaje”. To enjoy the discount one needs to have a Certificado de Registro in addition to this “viaje” … because it is only legal residents who are entitled to the discount, and as said above, the only document that proves legal residence is the Certificado de Registro.

If anyone has any queries about the documents that are not answered above or in the information behind the links in the first couple of lines, please enquire by email to