Below are some of the things I’m most often asked. If anyone has a question, please do read through them to see if it has already been answered. If not, just post it in the comment box at the bottom of the page. Just click on any question to expand it to show the answer.









I’m often asked for “general” and/or “positive” advice, nothing specific, just things to bear in mind. I know full well that people want me to tell them that it’s a brilliant idea to move here, that the sun shines all the time, that the people are friendly, that the cost of living is cheap, and that it will be wonderful … just a few minor bureacratic hoops to jump through first.

The reality is different, and I have now had to say the following so many times that I decided to put it here as a postscript to all the individual answers above.

The best advice is to learn Spanish before you come because work is very difficult to find unless you’re prepared to work for low wages in a bar or in commission-only sales, or similar, and any good jobs will require very good Spanish. Be prepared, too, to do something other than what you’re familiar with. Flexibility will open your mind to employment possibilities you might not have considered – and most working people here are employed in fields other than those they were in before they arrived.

Come with enough money to last for at least six months because it can take longer to set oneself up here than you’d imagine. The average wage is around €12,000 to give you an idea, and although the cost of living is lower here, it has risen over recent years. And while talking about money, be under no illusions whatsoever – in Tenerife there will be any number of people who will be your BFF within five minutes with the sole purpose of taking it all off you.

Above all, trust no-one. Everyone has a story, and out of our own environment, without familiar social and cultural clues by which we judge everything without realising it, we cannot tell when we’re being lied to or conned. Sometimes it’s obvious – the former chief executive of a multi-national corporation is hardly likely to be the bottle washer in a bar with dirty tables and plastic seats, though one never knows, I suppose! – but most of the time it is utterly impossible to judge people’s own versions of their former lives.

This is the best advice I can give.


  1. Hi Janet
    I am resident in Tenerife and have the green paper dated 19/10/2011 do I need to renew it. I would prefer to have the small card rather than the green paper.

  2. Author

    You have the option to renew it, and they cannot refuse you, but you are under no obligation to renew it.

  3. Anne, bear in mind that the card-sized registro is very flimsy and the print rubs off in no time if you aren’t extremely careful with it. I personally would recommend that if you have the A4 certificate, you keep it and cherish it. In my experience, for all non-official purposes a colour photocopy of the green certificate works very well. My green certificate is still in pristine condition in its folder, from which I have removed it less than half a dozen times since 2007. The photocopy I carry with me is falling apart but nobody cares, when it’s had its day I’ll just make another one.

  4. Thank you Janet and thank you Nova that does make sense and I will colour photocopy the original.

  5. Hi Janet. We will be moving to Tenerife in a few months but feeling concerned. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and would need insulin. However he is taking early retirement so not planning to work. How would be the best or recommended way to get the insulin. As he wouldn’t be paying into social security to get Heath care. Thanks.

  6. Author

    Insulin will be readily available here, but without state healthcare, you will need private medical insurance. Indeed, to register with the police as you will have to do to be legal, you will need either social security contributions, or to be pensioners, or -as will be applicable for you – private medical insurance, as I describe HERE.

  7. Thanks Janet. I’ll be working and paying into the system so will my husband be classed as a dependent?

  8. Author

    yes, he will have to be registered as such, at Granadilla, but as long as you are paying social security contributions, he will then be your dependant.

  9. Hi.
    My parents live out in Puerto having retired there 20 years ago and are in their 80’s. I am mindful of the fact that they may need more help as they get older so I was wondering if there is the Canarian equivalent of visiting carers either private or through the healthcare system?

  10. Author

    I would think that the system would be run at municipal level, rather than the healthcare system as such. The best place to enquire is the Social Services department of their local Ayuntamiento.

  11. Thanks, I’ll try there.

  12. We are moving to Tenerife at the beginning of April. I will be coming over on the 28/3/17 to apply for an nie. We have a property already up and running in adeje. I know I have to go to the police station in Las Americas to apply for the nie. I am told it can take 15 days. I was hoping to get the children signed up for school in this visit, but is this not possible without the nie ??


  13. Author

    The NIE is issued immediately.

  14. Hi Janet,
    Wonder if you have any knowledge about bringing leased car to Tenerife? Car owner is leasing company in Lithuania (guess no difference from UK) and I am driving this car here for more than six months. Do I have any tax risk? Not sure how I cam change the car plates to Spanish as I doubt leasing company wouldnt agree…. Thank you in advance!

  15. Author

    I don’t know, I’m sorry Tom, this isn’t an area I have any knowledge of.

  16. Hi Janet,
    Do you know what the regulations for driving a moped/ scooter are if you haven’t a license? ie can you drive on a provisional license and how/where would you apply for such? Thanks

  17. Author

    If you mean a British provisional licence, the answer is no, never. Please see HERE, Driving section, third question. If you mean how one starts from scratch here, then you register with a driving school which takes care of all the paperwork.

  18. Thanks Janet, Yes I meant starting from scratch here.

  19. Hi im self employed and own my own business out hers but im 5months pregnant amd very ill and the doctor may have to sign me off work do i get any help from the goverment seeing as i cant work but still have a business and house to pay for?

  20. Author

    The self-employed can be entitled to some government help but it depends on the level of the contributions they made as autonomo. I’m afraid that that’s as far as I can advise because you need to ask an asesor who deals with work and accountancy issues.

  21. I need to register my daughter for school, just at this minute I cannot find her birth certificate, will her uk passport do ??
    Thankyou in advance

  22. Author

    I’m afraid you’ll need to ask the school what they require. I’m sorry but I don’t know whether her passport alone will be sufficient.

  23. Hi Janet ,my question concerns CCTV and personal videoing of people .
    We have an ongoing “debate” over the legality of installing CCTV on our complex and what the law allows- can you expand please ?
    Another issue is ,some unsocial people on our complex are causing problems by videoing individuals and posting on social media as a means of harassment – is this legal and what steps can the President/ Adminstrator take to prevent this ?

  24. Author

    I’m sorry John but I can’t. The law on CCTV is complex and frequently updated, so it needs a qualified lawyer to clarify. As to posting images on social media, that is clearcut – it is illegal without the permission of the person whose image is being used. Usually this is done unthinkingly, but where it is being done as a form of harrassment, that is something that should be denounced to the police.

    I posted a comment in reply to Stephanie on THIS post only the other day. As I said there:

    I quite agree, Stephanie. In particular I dislike the posting of photos, without the consent of the subject, of those who have not yet been guilty of any crime. It doesn’t matter how appalling the alleged crime is, if someone’s photo is published and they are subsequently found not guilty of any offence, they could well prosecute for defamation. At the moment, on Facebook, there is a photo going round with a request to share it widely. In my opinion it is at least libellous, and at worst, an incitement to violence (a serious offence in its own right).

    It is worth stressing that anyone who publishes a photo without the subject’s consent, and where that publication could have a negative effect (on reputation, or financially, or in terms of work, etc), is committing an offence which carries a prison sentence of up to four years. It has been my view for a long time that naming and shaming is senseless in a range of ways, but now, with the “gag law“, I think that “idiotic” is a more appropriate word.

  25. Hi Janet loveTenerife go often i know Tenerife is not in the EU although Spain is, My husband and my self are looking to move permantely to Tenerife when i retire in 2 years ( Hubby retires 2 years later) we have funds to retire there. As UK where we have worked and lived all our lives are now coming out of EU ,do you think the free health care in Tenerife for pensioners UK could change

  26. Author

    Tenerife is in the EU because it’s part of Spain. There are separate customs rules that apply to us because we are an “ultraperipheral region” (as defined by the EU) but we are an autonomous region of Spain, and Spain is in the EU. As to what might happen in the Brexit negotiations, please see HERE.

  27. Hi Janet thankyou so much for your reply much appreciated

  28. Author

    Banca March refuse to renew my wife´s debit card until she produces evidence of where our money comes from – but a letter given to us by the bank in Las Galletas says they require, basically, a statement that our income (in our case UK State pension) is paid automatically into the bank. I think it assumes it to be a Spanish bank, but we simply transfer money from our UK bank account, and I cannot see the Dept of Works and Pensions giving us a special letter explaining what we get. The girl in the bank was otherwise unhelpful.

    My card expires in a year and they will require the same from me. Our pension is paid directly into our bank, but the girl said a bank statement is no good. We´ve had the account in Tenerife since 2004, mainly to pay the direct debits on our Tenerife property. We offered our passport and NIEs as confirmation of identity but they didn´t want them.

    Have you come across this before?

  29. Author

    Hi Allan, this sounds like the Know Your Customer / Anti-Money Laundering stuff that banks are under increasing scrutiny to carry out thoroughly now, though I can only guess at why it’s being requested now or why your wife’s debit card is being held to ransom over it. Nevertheless, banks are required to know where their customers’ income comes from. I used to work for Santander and to my knowledge, customers in receipt of a UK pension usually receive a pension statement from the DWP at least annually and that is usually perfectly sufficient. If you don’t have one for any reason, I don’t see that there’s anything wrong with asking DWP to send you one. They will be familiar with KYC/AML too.

  30. Author

    Thank you, Janet. The annual statement from the DWP was all we could think of, and we have them back in the UK. Now we need to find out whether they have to be presented personally or whether they can be sent. We were just surprised that the girl in the bank hadn´t apparently come across this before – but there must be hundreds of retired UK citizens who deal with that bank who are all in the same position. Thank you again.

  31. Author

    Thank you Nova … Allan it was Nova who answered you, and in this respect, her expertise is far greater than mine! I would have thought that you could send any required documentation by email … indeed I would have thought that that would be preferable for the bank because they would then have it electronically from the off.

  32. Author

    I’m happy to help when I can. 🙂 Ideally you would give the bank the original document for them to take a photocopy but usually they will be more interested in meeting their obligation as easily as possible. In which case I see no reason why they wouldn’t accept an emailed scan.

  33. Author

    OK. Thanks, Nova. We have a meeting with our solicitor next week who thinks he can get a definitive answer. I´ll post on here, in case others are interested.

  34. I am a US resident and been living in Madrid for 2.5 years illegally and I want to make it legal … what is the fastest way to do so … any helpis appreciative … Brian

  35. Author

    The best thing you can do is speak to the US Embassy. I can’t advise on non-EU nationals’ rights or the legal prerequisites, I’m sorry.

  36. Regarding the bank´s requirements for carrying on with our account, our solicitor has been told by the bank that indeed the UK´s DWP pension statement should be sufficient. But they still require us to contact them while they have my new debit card in order that they do not send it back. Once that is done I doubt whether I will be able to get another!

    I assume this is EU money-laundering rules…though how they can insist that a Spanish bank be given details of money paid into my UK bank is beyond me.

  37. Hi Janet,
    Should I have received the pink Información Fiscal from Santander 2016? It is usually dated 31st March.


  38. Author

    I understand they only started sending them out a couple of weeks ago, so it’s possibly still in the pipeline.

  39. From what has been said I am probably talking about something completely different but if its of any use I received my annual Santander letter detailing interest, commission and expenses on 28 January. Mine was electronic via online account access and my wife’s copy through the post.

  40. Having looked again at the document I have it is not pink just a bit red, brown, black and white so it is not the document David was asking about.

  41. Hi Ive lived here for 3 years and been a resident for this time, I have a UK driving license photo card with less than 10 years expiration. Am I right in thinking I only have to change it to Spanish when it expires???

  42. Author

    Yes, as it says in the answer to the first question in the Driving section above, “Drivers living in Spain who already have the usual photocard licences with clear ten year expiry dates do not have to do anything about them until the licence expires, and when it does, they will be required to renew here, as their country of residence. This meas that they will need to exchange for a Spanish licence at that point.”

  43. Hi Janet, we have been renting an apartment since 1/10/16 and was given a 6 month contract. The contract ended on 31/3/17 but we were never given another. We have found another apartment that suits us better, how much notice by law do I have to give the owner as the old contract says 2 months.
    In his original advert he said the rent would be 850€ for 6 months and 650€ for 12 months, although the old contract says 650€, but he has never got back to us, just emails us the bills which we pay at the bank.
    Where exactly do we stand with this

  44. Author

    You are out of your contract period so you are accepted as tenants without a contract. Your contract was not a normal short-term one anyway because they don’t have periods of notice (see HERE). Rather, tenants have to vacate on the date of termination of the contract, and are responsible for rent to that date even if you leave early. But even though your contract was not a normal legal one, once any contract has expired, there can be no notice terms because there is no contract in law.

  45. Thankyou for that Janet. So we are paid up in rent and utilities until the 31/7, so would we be able to move on the 25/7 and not have to pay anymore rent ?

  46. Author

    I’ve given a general opinion, and you are clearly out of your contract, so under the terms of which contract could you be paying rent? If you want legal guarantees, however, then you need to consult a qualified lawyer.

  47. Hi Janet
    I have recently moved, can I change the address for my spanish driving licence at the ayuntamiento in Adeje/ do it online or will I have to go to Trafico in Santa Cruz?

  48. Author

    I believe you can do it at the ayuntamiento.

  49. Hi Janet
    My Daughter is working in Majorca as a singer and opened a spanish bank account. She has found 2 amounts of 7 euros 5 cents and 15 euros deducted from her account that she was unaware of. The bank told her that the Police take it from non residents.Can you shed any light on this please

  50. Author

    I imagine it’s for the non-resident certificate as I describe HERE, but really this sort of explanation from the bank is sheer laziness on their part. Advise your daughter to demand that they explain what the police have taken it for! No-one can just take money from someone else’s bank account for no reason, even the police! And they could not do so, anyway, simply and purely because someone was a non-resident! But residence or non-residence confirmation certificates are acquired from the police, so it’s probably what the bank means.

  51. Hi David, that sounds right. The €15 is what the non-resident certificate costs and the €7 will be the bank’s administration charge for their role in obtaining the certificate. Your daughter could complain that the bank didn’t advise her of this when she opened the account but since the certificate is mandatory for non-resident bank accounts, I think the chance of a refund is zero. As a heads up, these charges repeat approximately every two years for as long as the account-holder is non-resident. (Disclosure: I used to work for Santander)

  52. Are living wills legal in Tenerife and what is the correct name for them here please?

  53. Author

    They are known as a “Declaración de Voluntad Vital Anticipada”, and I believe they are recognized the Canaries as part of the Dignified Death legislation we have in this region. A qualified lawyer or notary will be able to confirm the exact procedures.

  54. Hi I have been trying to have Movistar installed in our apartment in los cristianos ( we live in uk it’s our holiday home) however after several emails and no response and no contact number I have discovered by visiting the Movistar shop that they have installed it in a different apartment on a different complex. I have been told there’s nothing I can do and am basically paying for someone to have wifi NOT ME can this be right? I had no prior phone call to advise installation and no contact to say they had installed it. The shop say as I did it online they are unable to do anything. If I cancel I am in breach of my 12 month contract. Please can anyone help or advise. They state they are English speaking but unfortunately they aren’t and I can’t speak Spanish at all. Thanks in advance x

  55. Author

    You need to make a complaint through their website. In my experience it is the only way to get anywhere with Movistar. You might need to engage someone to do it on your behalf though I believe it’s possible to complain in English on their website. Certainly you will get a reference number and a formal means of taking the matter forward.

  56. Hello Janet
    I purchased an apartment some years ago for 110 thousand euro and now had an offer of 110 thousand.
    So I will break even (less legal costs), but I am being told I will have to pay tax on what the government value my apartment at not what I sell for.
    Is this correct and if so how do I find how much tax I will have to pay to sell.

  57. Author

    It not necessarily correct. As vendor, you will either have to submit a capital gains tax return if you’re tax resident in Spain, or if you’re non-resident for tax purposes, you will have 3% of the sale price withheld from you at notary, and paid to the tax authorities on your behalf in lieu of settlement of any capital gains tax. The value you sell at may well be accepted, and if it is, there will be no tax because there is no capital gain.

    The technical possibility, exists, nonetheless, as in the UK, for the tax authorities to assess to tax where they think it appropriate. They will only do this, however, where there is a pretty significant reason to think the selling price might be artificially low … and at that point they will also be going after the new owner for what they will consider underpaid sales tax on an under-declared purchase value.

    Please see HERE and HERE for explanations of the costs of selling, the 3% non-resident retention, and capital gains tax … and on the first of those two links see the first question in the Valuations section for an explanation of the tax value, and how to find out what it would be. Bear in mind too that as vendor you will also need to pay plusvalía to the council even though since you are not making a profit you should be able to claim it back later. That is explained in the Plusvalía section HERE.

  58. can you get a social security number without an address

  59. Author

    no, you need to provide ID and proof of employment.

  60. Hello. I am new to this website. I moved to Tenerife in August. This is a fantastic website and source for getting settled in. Thanks, Janet!
    I have a few questions about where to buy some things I need for my household. I am looking to shop in the Puerto Cruz area or nearby such as Orotava.
    1) Where can I buy cookware such as pots and pans?
    2) Is there an office supply store that sells items like transparent tape, glue, markers, folders, etc.?
    3) Where can I get copies made of photographs that are computer files? I would like to have quality prints made with acid-free paper and permanent inks/dyes for framing.

  61. Author

    Hopefully those who live in the area will have their own suggestions, but there is a very large Al Campo (huge commercial centre) near La Orotava and I would think you could get most things there. HERE it is.

  62. Who do yo contact to get a lift on the cancer bus for chemotherapy please?

  63. Author

    Try KM Solidario Tenerife Sur (see their Facebook page HERE). If you get nowhere please get back to me and I’ll see what further I can do.

  64. hello Janet,

    We are moving to Tenerife in three weeks time. It has been on the cards for ages and i have researched a lot. I am wondering if you know where the social security office is in tenerife so we can register for self employment?? also, if my husband is self employed and he is paying tax every quarter, am i able to also get healthcare? or it is private for me until i get a job? Also, i see it is hard work trying to find out what work number a graphic designer comes under, we were unsure on how much to pay every month! We will also hire a gester.

  65. Author

    There are various social security offices so there will be a local one you will need to identify when you know which area you will be living in. Yes, though, if your husband is registered as autonomo you can be registered as his dependent for healthcare cover. As to specific tax codes, you will need to consult a gestor or asesor, I’m afraid, because that’s their speciality.

  66. Hi I have medical centre insurance and Ehic. If I was to have a hip operation and after care, could I get it free or if I had to pay. How much would it cost. Thanks.

  67. Author

    You would not get that done with the EHIC, I imagine, but if you do not have state health cover, then your priate medical insurance will almost certainly cover it. I would have thought the cost would be in the single figure thousands, but you would need to speak to the surgeon and private hospital concerned for an actual quote.

  68. Hi Janet can you tell me I bought my property 2years ago. And I paid 10% on top of the original price. If I decided to sell would I have to pay the 10% again.

  69. Author

    The 10% you’re talking about is cost relating to the purchase, most of which were purchase taxes. If you sell, it is quite different, but then you might have a 3% retention if you are non-resident. Please have a look at the Selling section of THIS page, particularly the first question.

  70. Hi Janet I have had property here since 2003 and last year sold and bought a new property. Will I automatically be on the pardon. How do I find out. I actually want to get the cheap travel and have an old white NIC paper from 2003 so don’t know if I can get it. Do you think I will. I stay here between 3 and 6 months a year. Thank you Lynda

  71. Author

    Registration on the padrón is not automatic. You will need to advise the Ayuntamiento in your new area (or if the same area, tell the council of your new address). As to resident discount, for that you must be resident, and legally so, so your white NIE will not be sufficient. You need to be registered with the police as well and have the green Registro – which is issued to all foreigners living in Spain when they register with the police as foreigners living in Spain, a legal requirement as explained above. Also above is the explanation of the system and the requirements for resident discount in the question “How do we get the resident discount on Spanish flights?” above in the RESIDENTS & NON-RESIDENTS section and HERE in a page specifically about documentation.

  72. Hi Janet We intended to live and work in Tenerife 5 years ago bringing mum out to spend time with us. Unfortunately after signing up for residency mum passed away. We carried on visiting our property in Tenerife regularly but kept our main residence in U.K. We are retired and visit around 6 months out of the year but are unsure if we have to cancel our residency and return back to non resident status. If we stay as residents are we expected to pay any taxes as we live only on private pensions which are paid and already taxed in England. Very grateful for any advice you can offer. Many thanks.

  73. Author

    Yes, if you have registered as residents with the police, and have a Certificado de Registro (also often called green certificate, green NIE), but don’t live here, you should deregister. The registration (which you are calling “residency”) is issued to foreigners who have made an official declaration that they are living in Spain (see HERE).

    Your situation is that of a non-resident – both physically and fiscally. As physical non-residents you should not be registered with the police as living here, and assuming you’re not here for more than around six months a year you will not be not tax-resident either. Those who are not tax resident but who own a property here are required to submit annual returns for “deemed notional rental income” (see HERE).

    For what it’s worth, while you have declared you are living here permanently, you should have been submitting resident tax returns in any case (see HERE).

  74. hi Janet, site says…

    “After you have been registered as a resident for five years, you can apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain. You will be issued with a similar credit card size Residence Certificate, but it will additionally state that you are a permanent resident (residente permanente).”

    any idea how i go about doing this?

    with brexshit on the horizon i thought it might be a good idea as it gives more rights to move around europe.



  75. Author

    It is very simple, you just go back to the police station and reapply as before, prepay the tasa … and you get a new green Registro (card sized) with the word “permanente” on it. Please note, however, that it won’t give you additional rights to those you currently enjoy with your existing Registro. The renewal is entirely optional, please have a read HERE for the full details.

    Please note, just for absolute clarity, that this refers to the optional renewal of a Certificado de Registro and not a NIE.

  76. Thanks Janet. I will need to change my address soon so I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Hopefully jejeje.

    Just for interest i hought permanent gave more rights because on various places it says that you can move to another country for up to 3 months, with permanent residency and up to six with permission without losing right to live here which I thought might be useful if we are leaving.

  77. Author

    no, the regulations are quite clear and explained above. Up to three months, no-one needs to register as “living in Spain”, so does not get a Certificado de Registro (also called residencia/green cert/green NIE). After three months, anyone living here (i.e. not here on a four-month holiday) needs to register and gets the Registro.

    After five years legal residence a foreigner living in Spain automatically gains the right to “permanent residence” … automatically, without re-registering … and those who wish to have a Registro with the word “permanente” on it can get one, but this is not a requirement and does not affect anyone’s rights.

    The only time a six month rule comes into play is for tax residence purposes.

    These are Spain’s rules as a sovereign nation and an EU member state, and nothing to do with the UK, or Brexit, as such.

  78. Hello Janet, on the subject of healthcare, I have searched your FAQ’s and although close it does not quite pinpoint my query. In brief, my wife and I have been permanent residents since 2009 and have worked and paid into the system as self-employed until December 2016. We have NEI, residencia and Spanish health cards. We are not yet at retirement age. As residents of Spain do we qualify for health care here. According to Spanish citizens advice bureau we do, but I am also receiving conflicting stories. Can you advise please. Many thanks, Paul

  79. Author

    Qualification is based on contributions but they have to be recent and ongoing … for example there need to be contributions for three months in the previous year as far as I understand it. And so, in your case, you might have stopped paying into the system too long ago unless you were already being treated beforehand (in which case cover is extended for a year).

  80. I bought a ring for my girlfriend and the stone has come out, can i ask for another one, or it to be repaired

  81. Author

    yes of course! Go back to the store, ask for a replacement stone, and if they aren’t helpful, ask for the complaints book, and then possibly also go to the council’s consumer affairs office.

  82. I’m trying to request a criminal record check for a new job. I have a digital certificate so am trying to pay the Tasa online and the form is asking me for a 13 digit número de justificación, I am stuck. Can you tell me what this is please.

  83. Author

    Sorry, Paul, on this occasion I can’t help. I simply don’t know. Apologies.

  84. No problems, thanks anyway.

  85. Hello Janet.

    I am living in the North of Tenerife and struggling to find a notary who speaks English or has a translator. Do you know of any notaries based in La laguna who speak English or translators? Thank you.

  86. Author

    I’m sorry but I don’t know of any specifically but I would expect to find someone who can speak English in all of them!

  87. hi Janet
    I’ve been living in Tenerife for 12 years, and now time to move on! thinking of going to main land Spain,
    so my question is will all my NIE and Social and residencies count for anything over there, I know we are part of Spain, but just wondered

  88. Author

    yes because they are issued by the Policía Nacional – it’s a national system.

  89. Hi Janet…always value your advice…struggling to find an answer anywhere to a query about importing a motorcycle to Tenerife from mainland Spain (which is on Spanish plates etc). I see and understand the situation when importing from a country elsewhere in the EU but nothing when buying in Spain and taking it by ferry to Tenerife. Cost of the bike I am looking at (second-hand BMW) is ridiculous in the Canaries….so much cheaper on the mainland. Any info very gratefully received.

  90. Author

    The registration will be Spanish so no problems in that respect. If you’re talking tax, then I don’t see why any should be payable here because you’re just travelling with a Spanish vehicle within Spain, rather than “importing”.

  91. An agent in Lanzarote seems to suggest that there are some taxes importing a vehicle (coche, moto, camiones) from the mainland, unless it is a change of residence for the owner – might be worth getting a quote from them to check ?

  92. Author

    This is the difference, of course, with a country with such a devolved system of Government, where autonomous regions can impose taxes independently of the national Government … and this is why it’s certainly worth getting someone at least to give a quote, if not take care of the administration altogether, in such procedures.

  93. Hello janet . We are wondering whether we need to verify the qualifications and autonomo sratus of builders and plumbers working on our house. They are mainly local people, not under a main employer, and we are being asked to pay in cash. Is it our responsibility to find out if they are declaring this work ?

  94. Author

    Technically, yes, you are legally responsible for checking workers are legal and have public liability and personal insurances. As to paying in cash, this is entirely normal but highly risky because you will have no means of proving anything for tax purposes (eg capital gains deductions on sale), nor for claiming recompense if there are problems, or more importantly, to show you have employed them legally if you are inspected or they have an accident.

  95. Hi my husband has a full time work contract and residencia can I get my green nie if I am his dependant and can I register with a dr

  96. Author

    You can register with the doctor once the Granadilla Social Security offie registers you as a dependent of your husband. As to your “green NIE”, please see HERE for the Certificado de Registro (which is its proper name) – how to register with the police and the requirements you have to fulfill before you will be able to do so. You should sort out the Registro with the police before registering at Granadilla for state healthcare cover.

  97. Hi janet hope you are well, can you clarify something for me please, i still have my English plastic photo driving license im reading different comments about having or needing to change it, is it correct that i don’t have to change it till it expires? Or do i only have a certain length of time to replace it? Thanks again for your help

  98. Author

    I’ve moved your comment from the public holidays thread … please just see above, first question in the section titled “Driving”.

  99. Janet and the team,

    Well done for all your hard work on your web pages.
    Apart from learning Spanish, it should be compulsory reading BEFORE coming over to Tenerife..

    Quick point re the gent and his bank query , we had everything regarding money, INCLUDING our UK state pension, APOSTILLED before leaving the UK.
    EVERYTHING including our lawyer,s dealings regarding the sale of this property and the bank went smoothly with these documents.

    Again, thank you all

  100. I am a resident for 20 years living in the same property paying income tax, IBI and Basura. I have never thought to acquire a certificate de empadronmiento. If I do register in 2018 how can I demonstrate I have lived in the property for 20 years rather than the Certificate when issued only suggesting I’ve resided in the Property from 2018?

  101. Author

    You will only be able to acquire a certificate dated from the point at which you register. Since it has been a legal requirement for over six years now to register within three months of arrival, I don’t think it’s advisable to point out how long you’ve actually been here without complying. The certificate certainly could not be backdated anyway.

  102. Harry, surely you must have an NIE as you have bought an apartment and are paying taxes etc. Do you just have the white A4 type or the Certificado de Registro, now a small green credit card size. I’m sure that when registered with the tax authorities we had to have a certificado de registro and that is more important than a Certificado de Empadronamiento for the purposes of establishing residence in Tenerife.

  103. Author

    There was a time, 15 years or so ago, when you didn’t need a NIE to buy a property, Stewart, so possibly Harry doesn’t have one. But he specifically referred to the possibility of registering (presumably with the police) and so he can’t have a Registro. The tax authorities don’t need that so it wouldn’t be flagged by them, and bear in mind that Harry could be paying income tax on a non-resident basis anyway.

    There are very very many people here in the situation of having lived here for years without realising they had to register when the old residencia system was abolished in 2012 and replaced by the registration of foreigners living in Spain. Many were fully aware but decided anyway to ignore the requirement, even though it was a legal prerequisite to their lawful residence in the country. They are among the many who are now trying to regularize their situation before Brexit when they will no longer have the security of the EU’s umbrella to guarantee their right to remain in Spain.

  104. Janet, he was talking about joining the Padrón. You need an NIE to do that.

  105. Author

    but that’s unnecessary … surely he means the police, which is the only registration we need right now!

  106. He says Empadronamiento. I agree it’s the National Police he needs to register with if he has not already done. Being on the Padrón is a good thing but yes, not essential for proving residence.

  107. I come to Tenerife near Las Galletas for several months every year . Last week I discovered a charge for cash withdrawn from the ATM , I usually use. Has the law changed ? Are there any local ATM`s which dont charge for visa cards ?
    I weant to avoid withdrawing the maximum amount everytime , which minimises the pro rata commision.

  108. Author

    No the law hasn’t changed … your bank’s policy, or that of your card provider, might have. You’ll need to check with the bank I’m afraid.

  109. Hi Janet thanks for the great article about which are the actual papers you need I just wanted to check how you qualify for a Certificado de Registro – what does that mean do you have to live full time in Tenerife or as an owner do you qualify ? That ‘green’ card is the only one we don’t have ?

  110. Author

    Please just see the first question in the second section “NIE & Registro” above.

  111. Hi Janet could you advise on wether there is an entitlement to maintain my natural light and view , my next door neighbour is considering building an extension in front of his house that will block mine.
    Many thanks in anticipation

  112. Author

    yes of course you are entitled! The extension must be approved by the local Ayuntamiento (an obra menor/mayor licence) and, if on a community, the community itself.

  113. Thanks for the reply. The root of the problem instigating the need of the extension is due to another neighbour who has 11(eleven) cats. These cats are defecating , urinating and causing damage to other neighbors property in the community’. Can you give any advice on how to resolve this issue. My neighbor has spoken with the owner of the cats with no resolution.
    Many thanks

  114. Author

    Please see the first section on THIS page.

  115. Thanks for the advice

  116. Hi Janet , we are resident here in Adeje casco for 3 years . We don’t work but are not quite Uk retirement age . When we got our green card residencia we took out private health insurance which was needed for residencia as we are not working . However the cost has risen each year so we wonder is there a way to pay into the Spanish system for healthcare that wouldn’t increase so rapidly … kind regards Mike

  117. Author

    I’ve moved your query here – please have a look at the Healthcare section above.

  118. Is it easy to obtain a Non-Residence Certificate from the police station and how much do they cost? Banca March usually deal with this for me but they charge 50 euros per certificate. What I really would like to know is what part of the 50 euros is for the certificate and what part are the bank charges?

  119. Author

    It is easy, just like a NIE, and I believe the same cost as a NIE of €9.64. Please see HERE.

  120. Hi, Janet, we are hoping to move to Tenerife within the next 6mths. Obviously with Brexit not being able to make up it’s own mind we are in a quandary. We are not yet of retirement age but I have to take 3 lots of medication for heart disease. Would I get this medication from pharmacy, how much would it cost and would it be covered with medical insurance.

  121. Author

    As things stand for the next fifteen days, if you have money in the bank and full private medical insurance you will be able to register with the police to live in Spain. That would make you legal, but you would have private medical insurance and so of course your prescriptions would not be covered by the state system though your medication would almost certainly be available in Spain as well as the UK, at least an equivalent brand would be. What might happen over the next fortnight, however, is anyone’s guess so I’m afraid the safest thing would be to wait to make your decision until things are clearer with regard to Brexit.

  122. Hello Janet,
    I have certificate de registro (green) I am staying in the UK with my aged parents for a few weeks. I may have to return to the UK to care for them a couple of times a year. Please could you tell me the time limits that I have for:
    a) the number of days/year allowed out of Tenerife.
    b) the number of days/year I have to be in Tenerife to keep my Certificate
    c) if the days are total / year or a continuous period.

    Thank you

  123. Author

    At the moment you have full freedom of movement with no restrictions. That will come to an end with Brexit but I can’t advise what the situation will be because our future is to be determined by however Brexit develops or unravels. We will simply have to wait to find out what the situation will be.

  124. Hello Janet,
    Some advice please. 4 weeks prior to moving over to Tenerife my husband applied for our S1s..We moved across and waited for said documents to arrive, NOTHING. We contacted the relevant people in UK who confirmed the documents had been sent 2cweeks after our application; they stated that the replacements would be with us within 10 working days. We are now at day 15! What can we do as we need to register with Social and Doctors?

  125. Author

    All you can do is speak to the Pensions department. I don’t know what else you can do, I’m afraid.

  126. Morning Janet What documents do I need to take with me to tax my car in San Miguel. And what days can I do this. I have not had a bill through the post.

  127. Author

    Hopefully THIS page will help … it has further links in it to allow you to check the dates within which you have to pay, and means to pay by card online.

  128. Hi,

    I have never been married, my partner has.

    We have been trying to look at either Pareja de hecho or marriage.

    They will accept his divorce papers but I need some sort of Certificate to prove I have never been married. Have applied on line to the Consulate but they will not issue as they say I don´t need it.

    Please help or point me in the direction of a good lawyer who can.

  129. Author

    There must be some confusion because certificates of marital status and of no impediment are required and standard documents. My advice would be to go to your local Juzgado de Paz (justice of the peace): they will help you with a checklist, advice, and can even conduct the marriage if you would like it. It will be free, though sometimes there is a charge for the room in which the marriage is conducted. For the alternative “pareja de hecho”, you would simply need a certificate of “convivencia”: this will be issued by your local Ayuntamiento.

  130. Hi
    Can you tell me what is the current amount of money required by a couple in the bank for residency purposes in Tenerife

  131. Author

    Please see THIS page for details of registration: at present as I say there, there is no fixed amount set by law but €5,200 per person appears to be what they are requiring.

  132. Hi Janet we are residents in Tenerife and receive a spanish pension. If we return to the UK and revert to UK residency would we loose this pension?
    Many thanks

  133. Author

    I doubt it but I’m afraid you’ll need to confirm with a financial adviser or pension expert. That’s not an area I profess to know about. Apologies.

  134. Thank you very much for your advice, we did intend to still have our pension paid into our spanish bank, but will take your advice too Janet.

  135. Hi Janet, We are hoping to move to Tenerife but are waiting for Brexit !! Can you tell me if we have pensions of roughly £30,000 yearly , do we need the capital in the bank ? Thanks

  136. Author

    After Brexit we will be third-country nationals and I have no idea what criteria will be applied to those trying to move over here after Brexit because the conditions have not yet been finalised, as I’ve explained in the Brexit post HERE. Please just keep checking back for updates which will be in the Brexit post when they are available. The only thing I will say is that it will be FAR more onerous than at present, so I can’t really understand why you’re waiting until the harder conditions apply … if Brexit is your only reason for not moving now!

  137. I left a message a while ago asking if my next door neighbour is allowed to build a wall on our adjoining terrace (I can’t remember which section so can’t find any replies. This wall has been built now and a room behind it using the wall partially built on my terrace wall as his back wall. Similar to Barry Nelson’s request above, my neighbour has taken away my view, reduced the light and the sun on my terrace significantly. He does not have a licence and someone else, not me, has denounced the building work and it has stopped for now. Do you think he will get building permission from the council. The community is not interested and says they are only concerned about communal areas. Thank you.

  138. Author

    The community cannot be “not interested” because any works must receive community approval as well as a licence from the council. The only thing you can do right now is get an item on the agenda for the next general meeting or try to call an EGM to discuss it, AND go to the council and ask them in planning. Your original question and my answer is HERE.

  139. Hola Janet.Looking for advice on post op Cancer.4 years since prostrate removed,now down to a check every 12 months,in Germany ,where my S1 is.PSA was very low ,last check in May.My question is ,if i change my S1 to Spain ,how do you rate ,the post OP care here in Tenerife.Any advice would be appreciated.

  140. Author

    I don’t think it’s possible at present to give any idea of how things will look here for S1s in future weeks and months, let alone years, Trevor. At the moment it’s not clear that there’ll be an S1 system … there probably will be something but it’s all up in the air for now. As to quality of care, here, well it depends on the field of medicine because the health system here is under financial pressure as health systems are everywhere. Having said that, however, it is superb in terms of transplant, cancer and heart disease care especially.

  141. Hi Janet Can you advise as to whether there is a tax allowance for pensioners over the age of 65 years and if so what is it

  142. Author

    I’m sorry, but as I always say I don’t advise on tax matters because it is a specialist field and you should consult a qualified adviser. Apologies.

  143. My husband and I registered on our local padron to be able to obtain our green NIE.We are not applying for our Green NIE as our circumstances have changed.We have been advised to deregister from the padron,is this correct ?.

  144. Author

    Presumaby your changed circumstances involve not being legally resident in Spain (the only reason for not registering), and so some Ayuntamientos won’t want you on their padrón – some don’t mind registering non-residents but others do. As such, it’s not a clear-cut answer, but depends on how your council views registration of non-residents. You should check with your local council residents advice office (SAC).

  145. Hi Janet,
    I,m looking for an English speaking driving instructor in the South. Can you help.?

  146. Author

    THIS yellow pages search has given a few suggestions.

  147. I am trying to make an online appointment with the social security office in Grandilla. When l put in the security question answer it keeps saying it is incorrect. Do you know if they will let me make an appointment if l attend the office in person. Thank you.

  148. Author

    I don’t know, apologies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.