Advice for British nationals (and others) about voting in next year’s local and European Parliament elections

Adeje Ayuntamiento has issued a summary of information received from the Electoral Census office regarding the local Council and European Parliament elections in May 2019. The council explains that on 26 May next year, European Union nationals can vote in local council and European Parliament elections in Spain as long as they’ve previously expressed their intention to do so. The deadline to confirm your intention to vote in Spain ends on 30 January.

To be clear, those who have the right to vote are people living in Spain who come from EU countries and from those countries who have signed an Accord with reciprocal rights. They also have to meet the standard requirements to vote (age, etc.) as detailed below. This clearly puts UK nationals in a somewhat ambiguous position, because the UK is set to leave the EU on 30 March: the Electoral Census Office (ECO) has not excluded British nationals from the electoral roll for the municipal and European Parliament elections but their inclusion will cease to have effect if the United Kingdom leaves the EU as planned. Given this uncertainty, the only sensible course of action for anyone who would like to be able to vote seems to be to register on the census before the deadline just in case it transpires British nationals can indeed vote in either or both of the elections.

Adeje therefore advises that since at the moment, British citizens are also EU nationals, they should proceed as normal and respond to a written notice shortly to be sent out by the Electoral Census Office. In general these will be sent to EU citizens on the ‘Padrón’ (resident register) but who have not voted in the past nor have signed the formal declaration of their desire to be on the census. The letter should include a formula whereby people can indicate online their intention to vote. Alternatively you can call into the Adeje Town Hall and sign the relevant paperwork there, or those with a digital certificate can use their NIE to sign up online HERE , or use the special CTT (telematics communication number that is in the letter that you have received from the Census office), or you can send your signed intent to vote by post to the Census office – follow the instructions in the letter. Those already registered in the electoral roll after having expressed their intent to vote in Spain maintain their voter status and shouldn’t need to make a new declaration until they request their removal or cease to reside in Spain.

All this is assuming you are already on the local Padrón. If not, you have until 30 January to register both as a resident and a voter.

Nationals resident in Adeje from countries with a reciprocal voting Accord
If you are resident in Adeje and from a non-EU country but one that has a reciprocal voting agreement with Spain and you meet the standard voting requirements, you can ask to be on the census for the May 2019 local elections. Countries that currently have such an agreement are Bolivia, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Korea, Ecuador,Iceland, Norway, New Zealand, Paraguay, Peru and Trinidad and Tobago.

General voting requirements
The general voting requirements for all those who wish to vote are:
That you are over 18 years of age and haven’t had your official right to vote take away
That you are on the Adeje ‘Padrón’ (resident register)
That you have authorised Spanish residency
That you have lived legally in Spain for the requisite time depending on the agreement with your country of origin. If required a certificate can be obtained from the National Police offices.


  1. Does adeji cover the granadilla area – los abrigos ?

    1. Author

      no, but the advice applies to all Ayuntamientos. Yours is Granadilla, a separate council area.

Leave a Reply to Janet Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.