Photo: Tenerife Cabildo
Updated 16 February 2021: They said they were going to police and monitor it to ensure they didn’t have to repeat the serious amount of work it took to clear the place and reclaim it as a public coastal area for the enjoyment of all, and so they have. And this week they have removed some 50 individuals who the Tenerife Cabildo says were trying to establish a new camp settlement in the barranco de Los Burros and the area around Diego Hernández beach. Cabildo environmental officials have issued eight infringement notices, the result they say, of the constant vigilance they said they were going to maintain in an area deemed of Scientific Interest.
Updated 27 September 2020: The works started in July to clear the illegal settlements at La Caleta in Adeje have now finished, and today, the Tenerife Cabildo has issued this video of the works and their results. The Cabildo says that the area is protected, a site of scientific interest, and over 100 personnel have been involved in demolishing 122 illegal constructions and removing nearly 20 tons of waste and rubbish in order to restore this unique natural environment and its biodiversity, which had been seriously disturbed, to the public. The Cabildo stressed that the area would now be monitored on an ongoing basis by a superveillance unit comprising its own environmental agents along with those of Costas since the area falls within their jurisdiction.
⛰️🌊Hoy queremos enseñarte cómo está quedando el Sitio de Interés Científico de #LaCaleta de #Adeje tras los desalojos de julio, en los que participaron más de un centenar de operarios del @CabildoTenerife, @adeje, fuerzas de seguridad del Estado y técnicos de Gesplan.
— Medio Natural Cabildo de Tenerife (@MedioNaturalTF) September 27, 2020
Updated 14 July: The Cabildo began to clear the illegal settlements early this morning, with Tenerife President Pedro Martín himself on site to supervise the start of the works. The Cabildo has confirmed that the clearance is being coordinated with the Canarian Government and Adeje Ayuntamiento, and carried out with assistance from police and security forces. Local residents cheered as the dismantling and removals started, saying it has been years since they’ve been able to use their own beach because of the okupas (squatters), many suggesting other areas where they say similar action is urgently needed.
Original post 12 June: The Tenerife Cabildo has announced the clearance of illegal settlements in La Caleta, Adeje, designated a Sitio de Interés Científico (Site of Scientific Interest). The Cabildo, along with the Guardia Civil and representatives from provincial Costas (the Coasts department) and environmental agents will start next week to document formally the specific places and numbers of individuals which have been settled in this coastal environment. This will serve as the basis for the clearance proceedings. The protocol will also establish monitoring routines by national police and security forces once the area has been cleared, to ensure that it isn’t resettled, and so that it remains in its natural condition for the enjoyment of all. The Cabildo said that the protocol needed to be set up because the situation in La Caleta, far from new, required the coordination of various administrations – local, insular, regional, and national – and the process which will start imminently needed to be managed jointly.