The new Spanish PM Pedro Sánchez has drawn up his cabinet, and the key appointments result in a cabinet of equals, and of appropriate skills. The main department heads are:
- Treasury – Nadia Calviño: economist who was director general for budget at the European Commission
- Foreign Office – Josep Borrell: former president of the European Parliament
- Home Office – Fernando Grande-Marlaska Gómez: Professor of Law and judicial career culminating in presidency of Spanish High Court
- Health and social welfare – Carmen Montón: medically trained, involved with creating same-sex marriage legislation under Zapatero
- Employment – Magdalena Valerio: previous regional employment minster
- Education – Isabel Celaá: previous regional education minister
- Justice – Dolores Delgado: prosecutor specialising in cases against jihadist terrorism
- Regions – Meritxell Batet: Catalan politican and professor of constitutional law
- Environment – Teresa Ribera: global climate change negotiator
- Science – Pedro Duque: aeronautical engineer and European Space Agency astronaut
So many appropriate appointments, so many pro-EU ministers, so many women …
Socialists in Spain have always been at the forefront of equality and progress.
The full list of appointees and their backgrounds is HERE.