Photo: Tenerife Cabildo
Updated 27 October: The Tenerife Cabildo has said that TF1 resurfacing will move to the east of the island from Sunday, in works expected to last five months. The stretch concerned is between TFS and Arafo, and the works will be done mainly during the night, specifically between 10pm and 6am, with detours in place where appropriate. This is the second phase of the resurfacing works announced in March.
Updated 11 June: As forecast back in March, resurfacing works between TFS and Fañabe are on schedule to finish in time for the main summer season, though this last week has seen intensive works being carried out between Parque de la Reina and Playa de las Américas. Tenerife president Carlos Alonso says that the decision was taken to work round the clock to minimise disruption which would have occurred in any case had works been confined to a night-only schedule, and that the authorities were well aware of the problems this caused drivers but hoped they would understand the need for the works to be carried out.
Motorists will be very aware, of course, given the justifiable complaints about the state of the motorway for many years! Now it is Las Chafiras’ turn, and this coming week will see disruption in what is perhaps the busiest part of the southern motorway. Again works are scheduled to be round the clock to minimise the time taken in disruption. At least we can see from the works just completed that they clearly represent a vast improvement. It’s not going to be a comfortable week for drivers around the Las Chafiras area, however.
Original post 30 March: The Cabildo has announced that resurfacing works are imminent on the TF-1 between TFS and Fañabé. The works are part of the funded plans for road improvements throughout the island which are set to cost some €23.3m in total, and this first phase in the south should be completed by summer: at present only preliminary measures are being carried out but the works proper will start to have an effect on the public from next week. To try to minimise disruption, the Cabildo says that road teams will operate overnight between 10pm and 6am. The announcement was made by Tenerife President Carlos Alonso, together with Development councillor Miguel Becerra and Roads councillor Ofelia Manjón.